Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Perspective

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

Why is it that there is correlation data that suggests the more one has their needs met the more they are likely to be depressed? Is it just me or does this seem to go against common sense?
Is it that once someone has their basic needs met, they then have the time to search their lives for the other things that are so terrible? For instance, “now that my family isn’t being oppressed by an occupying army, I can finally see that I am unhappy because of my looks or my social status? Before this I was concerned with trivial things like the safety of my children. Now I have time to complain that I don’t get everything I feel entitled to, like straight teeth.”
Isn’t it a joke for Americans to not take into consideration that there are four billion other people with far harder lives? One billion people are virtually starving to death while another billion are eating themselves to death because their sad lives created an addiction to food? One billion are fighting to feed their children and westerners are whining about how terrible their lives are, to a point where it is so bad that they can not eat and must throw their dinners into the trash.
I guess what I am talking about is perspective, a thing that is in short supply in our world. Where one Jewish settler’s life is worth that of one hundred Palestinians. Where 3000 dead one day are significant but another 3000 dead, not so. Where one fat person’s hopes weren’t met but children are starving and they aren’t complaining because they don’t know a different life while the fat woman complains that if she was wealthy like Oprah, she too could lose weight.
One thing is true, that people with real problems at least attempt to remedy them, and are killed along the way. In America we feel as if we shouldn’t have to act, instead we should just get. Maybe Americans like to be fat and sad. Though doesn’t the term “like” convey a sense of enjoyment? Maybe people are happy being miserable? Seems oxymoronic to me.

No comments: